Monday, March 11, 2013

By Pearl and David Landesman

David and I are looking forward to joining Rabbi Tow and the group from Glen Rock Jewish Center on this exciting  Eastern Europe tour.  We jumped on board when David's cousin Sidney Keyles told us about the trip.    We found our chance to see  the camps at Auschwitz , Plashow, and Terezin.  I will also - hopefully will have an opportunity to go visit my parent's home town of Ksiaz Wielki which is a small town not far from Krakow, Poland, about an hour's drive by car.  My grandparent's had a bakery there, and the family lived upstairs.   This town before the war, had a thriving Jewish community.  My mother's father was a Gerrer Chasid.  My mother is the sole survivor from her immediate family. Unfortunately, most of the Jews from the town were nebuch killed there, or taken to work camps or the concentration camps. Just a handful of the Jewish residents of Ksaiz survived. Some live in Israel, and the others are here in the U.S.
      This will be like our March of the Living.  We look forward to experiencing the old historical places, and seeing the vibrant modern changes over the years.  

1 comment: